Transition Salt Spring’s Eco-Living & Home Tour is on Sunday July 30 from 10 until 4 pm. Pick up your map at Salt Spring Books and take a self-guided tour around the island. You’ll meet innovative and inspired builders, growers and landscape architects. Get inspired to collect rainwater, install alternative energy systems, use repurposed and recycled materials and retrofit your way to living your own eco living dream.
Sponsored by Windsor Plywood, BE Design Works and Slegg Building Materials, you’ll find many of the green products used in homes available locally. Other sponsors include electric vehicle importers Motorize Direct (Sidney), who will be on hand to answer your questions about electric cars and offering EV test drives from Gulf Islands Secondary School’s parkng lot. Other sponsors include Green City Builders, Counterculture Cabinetry, Salish Sea Heating and Ventilation, Salt Spring Solar, BearFoot Renewables, and Salt Spring Island Tiny Homes.
Where? Various locations around Salt Spring Island.
When? Sunday July 30th
What time? 10 am to 4 pm.
Where do I go to get my map? We start giving maps out on Friday, July 28th at Salt Spring Books, 104 McPhillips Ave. If you plan to wait until Sunday to pick up your map, get it at 9 am outside of SS Books.
Tickets: Tickets are $25 each and are selling fast: get your online at https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/transition-salt-spring-eco-living-and-home-tour-tickets-34988661027or stop by Salt Spring Books or Stuff and Nonsense in Fulford.
Want a free ticket? Sign up to volunteer at one of the sites for a three hour shift (10am-1pm or 1-4pm checking tickets, helping manage visitors) and you’ll get a ticket to spend the rest of the day touring homes and gardens. Email asap email@example.com.
The Eco Living and Home Tour is Transition Salt Spring’s major biennial fundraiser, supporting programs such as the Rainbow Road Allotment Gardens, electric vehicle charging infrastructure, and community education events from film screenings to author readings to conferences. For more information about Transition Salt Spring’s many programs and to become a member, visit www.transitionsaltspring.com
Here’s a taste of what you can see this year:
• an experimental semi-tropical orchard with lemons, grapefruits and kumquats
• glass art studio featuring super-high efficiency all-electric glass furnace, use of recycled glass, non-toxic materials.
• underground rainwater harvesting tanks for micro-drip garden irrigation.
• Off-grid, straw bale home;
• water catchment systems, greywater systems,
• passive solar design, solar panels for electricity, solar hot water collectors
• Commercial greenhouse with Hyperadobe wall, wood gasifier heating system, and biodigester
• greenhouse with Tilapia fish aquaponics providing fertilizer for hydroponic veggies
• net-zero 600 sq. ft. super-insulated office designed for environmental sustainability
• Tiny House under construction built on a heavy duty 8’ x 16’ flat deck trailer.
• Thermal retrofit of older Pan-Abode log cottage, with air source heat pump and solar hot water pre-heat.
• compact energy-efficient hideaway overlooking the ocean made from shipping containers
Building, renovating, or just dreaming? This tour is for you! More info at https://www.facebook.com/events/192963321227059/permalink/208630439660347/